Tuesday, December 14, 2010

#34

Below is a partial posting I started to write in June (when I was convinced the Mets were going to make a push for a certain pitcher). I never finished it, as I intended to write a trilogy and frankly just got too lazy to do so, but nevertheless, I think it serves as a good time capsule for how Phillies fan still viewed Mr. Lee after several months into the 2010 season and the lingering frustration over maybe the worst trade since Larry Andersen for Jeff Bagwell.

The signing certainly doesn't fix their lack of both clutch and right handed hitting, and it could look terrible in a few years if Lee loses just a small bit of command or has back issues (which he has had before).

However, it does make you feel special to be a Phillies fan right now. The man turned down $30 million more dollars from the preeminent franchise in baseball and an equally good deal from a team with a younger, better talent base to come back to city where he has no connection besides a 3 month run in 2009. It defies logic, Scott Rolen, Curt Schilling, Jayson Werth and everything else Phillies fans have learned to known about the franchise and frankly, being from Philadelphia in general.

Last September, in the midst of Cliff Lee fever, my mom offered to buy me a 34 "Lee" T-Shirt. While I certainly didn't need another T-shirt (having raided the StreetSquash closet before leaving) I didn't want to damper her enthusiasm, so I accepted her offer. During the playoff run, the shirt served me well. Like a cornball, I wore it on days he pitched, and Cliff never disappointed. Once the World Series came, my friends in Boston appreciated the shirt as they rallied against Yankees. I was pretty proud of myself after Game 1. Despite the end result, I was looking forward to getting another good year.

Then December came. I talked to my mom a few days before the trades (and that's trades with an "s"), and she told me there were rumors the Phils were making another push toward Doc Halladay. I immediately dismissed the rumors, telling her the Phils were too cheap and conservative to make another big move, but she insisted the stories were out there. In the end, we were both partially right. At the time, the Phils tried to play Lee deal off as necessary to building back the farm system. The explanation made initial sense, since they had trade 7 of their top 10 prospects in 4 months, but it doesn't hold up.

If they were so concern over their system, why make the trade to begin with? If Drabek wasn't untouchable after all, why didn't they just trade for Halladay to begin with? If Lee left as a free agent, would the 2 compensatory first round picks be better than mid level prospects from the Mariners? (yes) Why was this trade made so fast, preventing a bidding war among other AL teams (Angels, Rangers, Twins)?

Like most things, the Lee deal was really about money. The team's payroll has exploded with revenues from the new stadium and winning teams , but at end of the day, ownership is still the same asset rich, cash poor Main Line families that have owned the team for 30 years. And someone's still got pay for the house and the elitist country club when Dad goes .

No comments:

Post a Comment