Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Quick Thoughts

Like Pat Benatar coming out for 1 more song, I had to come out for my fans and finish off my last post. So without further adu,

Celebrity Sightings

Since Mr. Cobb has made a habit of dropping names like Page 6, I wanted to share that I'm at least 82% I saw former Treasurer Secretary, Goldman Sachs partner and overall fallen star Robert Rubin at the airport. I can tell you Mr. Rubin likes pretzel sticks and apparently has no friends because he didn't talk to one person in the 2 hours I was there. As everyone was grounded by thunderstorms, I had the urge to ask him if we needed to exposure ourselves more to risk by flying, but obviously didn't have the balls. I'll admit seeing Mr. Rubin the Delta Shuttle terminal with every quasi-suave European businessman was surprising. Apparently that Citibank stock isn't doing so well.

Fantasy

As documented early today, my perfect football weekend was capped by losing by .06 of a point in fantasy league. While there are many sources to blame for my defeat (the Bengals, for giving up 2 return touchdowns and keeping Brady off the field; myself, for drafting with emotion and getting Mr. Preseason, Michael Crabtree; Jesus), I'm going to blame a familiar source: Charlie Weis.

After floundering for the last 3 years as coach of Notre Dame, Mr. Weis (with a massive payout) took his ample carriage to call the plays in Kansas City. However, despite Charlie's propensity for throwing and calling over-complicated plays, I thought I was safe with Jamaal Charles running for 70 yards and a touchdown in the first half. Foolishly, I assumed that the Chiefs would use the guy who produced only their good offensive play more in the 2nd half. Nope. Instead, the powers that be decided that it would be better to use Thomas Jones (a man so well regarded that the Jets cut him and sign LT and his now 4.9 40 time).

Nevertheless, with 5 minutes to go, I simply needed 1 yard to take the lead. With the Chiefs up 7 points, it was a safe assumption they would be running. Yet, senor Weis thought he would fool the Chargers by going in the shotgun on 3rd and 3, even though everyone knew the run was coming. So, with 1 yard between me and victory, Charles got 0. Would the Chiefs made the first down in a goal line set? Probably not, but at least they wouldn't have looked stupid and I would have won my game.

An completely apropos way to finish this weekend. You win, Mr. Weis. You always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment