Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ramblings

So this weekend Lloyd Braun was kind enough to invite me to Philly for a ballgame between the Phillies and this loser team from Queens that appears to exist for the sole porpoise of triggering severe anxiety attacks and depression in Bob Cobb every summer weeknight from 7-10. The game itself was a disappointment: nothing happened, the Phillies lost, and I almost got killed by a foul ball I was too lazy to stand up for. But overall the trip was a blast. I was the first person on my Amtrak train, a personal best and a victory I do not take lightly, and afterwards I went to stay the night with the GP's which is always a nice change of pace (Sunday morning brought high comedy as my grandfather left the keys in the ignition and had to dial up "AA" as he called it, for a jumpstart).

Great times indeed, but by far and away the highlight was on Saturday night, when we dined at one of China Town's most prestigious establishments (alas for the moment the name escapes me). After dumplings and garlic chicken and pepper fried shrimp, it was time for the fortune cookies. Mine was nothing special, just something about how Smuckers is the greatest creature on the entire planet: half man half God half possible centaur (at least that's how I remember it). Pretty standard.
Then Lloyd Braun pulled out this gem, which I believe was lifted from an anonymous 20th century poet known by the name of Newman: "Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought."
Which I think just about sums it up. And yes, I know i wrote porpoise. Deal with it.

1 comment:

  1. David's. The salt and pepper shrimp and pork dumplings are top notch.

    ReplyDelete